Home | Info & Membership | Museum | Excursions | Passenger Cars Available for Lease | Whistle Truck for Rent
Equipment Roster | Newsletter

Passenger Car History

Crescent Harbor Sleeper/Lounge

HISTORY

The Crescent Harbor is one of three remaining sleeper / lounge passenger cars built by Pullman for the Southern Railway's Southern Crescent passenger service. Delivered in 1949-50, this particular car plied the rails between New York City and New Orleans during the "golden days" of rail travel. Having been out-of-service since 1979, Crescent Harbor was recently returned to rail service through a major restoration project by WVRHS&M, from whom it received AAR reporting mark WATX 2351.

Crescent Harbor's two sister cars, while they exist, require extensive work before they could become roadworthy.

Crescent Harbor Photo Galleries: Rail Service | Restoration

Moultrie Lightweight Dining Car

HISTORY

In March and April of 1950, Pullman-Standard produced ten 36-seat dining cars with the following names: Atlanta, Birmingham, Cordele, Fitzgerald, Greenville, La Grange, Moultrie, Plant City, Talladega, and Tarboro. In May of that year, the RF&P received the 36-seat diner Henrico completed by the same car builder. Also in 1950, the Florida East Coast Railroad took delivery of two P-S built diners of the same series, the Fort Ribault and the Fort Drum. The body shell for one additional car of this type was built by Pullman-Standard in 1957. This work was completed at Atlantic Coast Line shops in December 1959 and the car was named Naples.

The Moultrie, originally owned by the ACL, operated on New York to Miami trains until 1971. With the formation of AMTRAK, the diner continued Florida service until 1981 when AMTRAK sold the car to a short-line dinner train operation in Virginia. The Watauga Valley Chapter NRHS purchased the car in 1989, completely upgrading the mechanical systems to AMTRAK standards and fully renovating the interior. It was assigned AAR reporting mark WATX 400.

The builder’s photo of the Moultrie may be seen in the Official Pullman-Standard Library, volume 7, Southeast Railroads. The Moultrie was selected out of the ten diners noted above to carry the builder’s photo for Pullman-Standard.

Moultrie Photo Galleries: Rail Service | Restoration | Excursion Service

Powhatan Arrow Coach

HISTORY

In April of 1946, the Norfolk & Western Railway ordered ten 58-seat coaches for the Powhatan Arrow and Pocahontas from Pullman-Standard. The cars were delivered from October through December of 1949. They were built with smooth sides and painted in N&W’s tuscan red and black. Car numbers were numbered 531 to 540. Out of the ten cars in this series, eight cars are still in some type of operation. The #539 operated between Cincinnati, Ohio and Norfolk, Virginia. After the N&W passenger service was discontinued in 1971, the car was put into commuter service in Chicago for several years and then retired for storage until 1982 when it was selected for operation in the Norfolk Southern Steam Program. In 1992, the Watauga Valley Chapter NRHS received the coach from NS and completely restored this beautiful example of the glory days of rail passenger service. It was named the Powhatan Arrow and received AAR reporting mark WATX 539 in honor of its service on the N&W.

Powhatan Arrow Photo Galleries: Rail Service | Restoration | Excursion Service

St. Augustine Coach

HISTORY

This coach was built in 1954 by Pullman-Standard for the Florida East Coast Railroad and named the St. Augustine along with three others: Coca-Rockledge, Hollywood, and Miami. The St. Augustine saw service on the Dixie Land route between Chicago and Miami. The car also saw service on the New York to Florida train until 1971. With the formation of AMTRAK, the St. Augustine continued operation on trains out of Chicago, New York, and Florida. In 1981, AMTRAK sold the car to a short line tourist operation in Virginia. The Watauga Valley Chapter NRHS purchased the car in 1986; completely upgraded the mechanical system to AMTRAK standards; fully renovated the interior; and renamed it the Clinchfield. It was assigned AAR reporting mark WATX 500. In 2013, the Watauga Valley Railroad Historical Society & Museum, in keeping with its mission to maintain historical accuracy whenever possible, restored the car's name to its original St. Augustine.

St. Augustine Photo Galleries: Rail Service | Restoration | Excursion Service

BACK